A service station maintenance contractor installs and/or removes underground fuelstorage tanks up to 20,000 gallons which have been or are to be used for dispensinggasoline, diesel fuel, waste oil or kerosene (no chemicals). This work involves theinstallation and/or removal of all incidental tank related piping, electrical work,including the installation of vapor probes in back fill areas of the tanks and anyassociated calibration work, including but not limited to the testing and adjustmentof leak detection and vapor recovery equipment, such as automatic tank gauges,leak line detectors, vapor recovery lines, and in-station diagnostics. This contractoralso performs the installation of auto hoisting equipment, grease racks, compressors,air hoses, and other service station equipment.
Note: Licensees holding this classification prior to January 18, 2001, may performall the work as described above. Licenses issued after this date may perform the“calibration” work only
Content of the Examination
The Law and Business Examination is divided into ten major sections. These sections are:
1. Company start-up procedures (10%)
2. Human resources (6%)
3. General business requirements (20%)
4. Insurance and bonds (7%)
General business insurance
Workers’ Compensation insurance
5. Pre-contract considerations (12%)
6. Proposals and contracts (9%)
7. Contract compliance (9%)
8. Public works (4%)
9. Safety (9%)
10. Legal (14%)
*Percentages are approximate*
The following questions are typical of the kind of items that are on the examination. The correct answer is highlighted.
1. As part of the safety training process contractors’ supervisors are required to conduct “tool box” or “tailgate” safety meetings. How often must these meetings be held?
At least once every ten working days
At least once a month
At least once a quarter
2. Which of the following items is a job-related direct cost?
Trade Association membership dues
Contractor’s license renewal fee
3. What legal remedy can be pursued for nonpayment of funds owed to a contractor from a private job?
Notify the city building official.
File preliminary lien notice.
Perfect the claim of the lien.
File a Stop Notice.
*All questions are written and reviewed by licensed contractors who are actively working in the field*