A concrete contractor forms, pours, places, finishes and installs specified mass, pavement, flat and other concrete work; and places and sets screeds for pavements or flatwork. This class shall not include contractors whose sole contracting business is the application of plaster coatings or the placing and erecting of steel or bars for the reinforcing of mass, pavement, flat and other concrete work.
Authority cited: Sections 7008 and 7059, Reference: Sections 7058 and 7059 (Business and Professions Code)
Content of the Examination
The Concrete (C-8) Examination is divided into five major sections. These sections are:
1. Project Estimating (19%)
Plans, soils reports, site inspection
2. Project Planning (13%)
Material selection and placement methods
3. Safety (18%)
On site protection
4. Pre-placement Preparations (27%)
Layout, forming, and base preparations
Reinforcement, embedded hardware, and joints
5. Placing and Finishing Concrete (23%)
Post placement procedures
*Percentages are approximate*
The following questions are typical of the types of items that are on the examination. The correct answer is highlighted.
1. How many cubic yards of concrete should a contractor order for a foundation that is to be 20 feet wide, 40 feet long, and 2 feet deep?
2. Which of the following sets of variables affects the spacing of joints in a slab on grade?
Type of finish, adding admixture, and temperature
Inside corners, vibration, and screed technique
Soil conditions, temperature, and type of finish
Inside corners, soil conditions, and aesthetic considerations
3. What term is applied to the line at which the face of a curb meets the top of the pavement or gutter?
The driveway apron
The control joint
The flow line
The curb return
*All questions are written and reviewed by licensed contractors who are actively working in the field*
Craftsman Workbook for ACI Certification of Concrete Flatwork Technician/Finisher.
Cal/OSHA State of California Construction Safety Orders.
California Code of Regulations, Title 8,
Industrial Relations, Division 1, Chapter 4, Subchapter 4
P.O. Box 95767,
Chicago, IL 60694.
(800) 888-3600 FAX: (415) 344-3906.